Tuesday, November 10, 2009

What's Next For Google?

I've thought about this a lot. If I were Google how would I expand?
Well there's a lot of ways they are doing so but what would allow them to double or triple in size in a relatively short time frame?
How about web development, e-commerce development, SEO, SEM and so on?
I've posted here on their recent and still unexplained removal of all local results pertaining to these industries. From searches and growing commentary I've determined this is not only nation wide, but also an international issue.
These are the only industries being affected, if you're a butcher, a baker, or a brewer you need not be concerned.
So why hit these industries- because they can perhaps? Clear out some competition before they move into these arenas?
I'm just asking this as a talking point, I'm not privy to Google's inner sanctum. This is a theory I've come up with to try and explain these occurrences.
Of course Google cannot remove organic search results for such industries. This would undermine the very core of their algorithmn. And the integrity and beauty of the algorithmn is what's made them so incredibly successful.
I've rejected my initial idea on this- that these results were removed because of potential webmaster manipulation. After all, theoretically a good webmaster could do the same for his clients.
If anybody else has ideas on this I'd love to hear them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing Google are just experimenting with a view to perhaps removing local results from regular searches in the future. I'd love to hear any other ideas you have.

    By the way, I linked back to his article from my latest blog post. Hope that's okay with you :)

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course daniel no worries- they just posted some stuff re they had problems etc. Sounds like my conspiracy theories may be shot to hell, oh well, as long as we get our locals back.
    I'll find something else to conspire about soon i'm sure

    ReplyDelete